Cyclists are injured or killed in wrecks more often than you might think. Consider the following nationwide statistics from 2012:
How many cyclists were injured in bicycle/motor vehicle crashes?
Answer: 49,000 reported injuries
Note: Only a small percentage of bicycle crashes causing injury are ever reported to law enforcement officials (possibly as low as
Of those cyclists injured in bicycle/motor vehicle crashes, how many were between the ages of 10 and 15?
What percentage of injuries sustained by cyclists were caused by being struck by a car?
How many cyclists were killed in bicycle/motor vehicle crashes?
How many of those cyclists killed were between the ages of 45 and 54?
What is the total resulting cost of cyclist injuries and deaths?
Answer: Over $4 billion per year.
How many wrecks occurred in Alabama involving a cyclist and a motor vehicle?
How many people were injured as a result of these collisions?
How many people were killed as a result of these collisions?
- 88% of all cyclists killed were male.
- 69% of all cyclist fatalities occur in urban areas.
- 30% of all cyclist fatalities occur between 4:00 p.m. and 8:00 p.m.
- 24% of all cyclists killed were legally intoxicated.
- Children 15 and younger account for 9% of all cyclists killed and 20% of all cyclists injured.
(Sources: National Highway Traffic Administration, 2012; National Safety Council, 2012; Alabama Department of Transportation, 2011)